Braces are an orthodontic corrective appliance used in the treatment of dental and facial irregularities. These corrective appliances can be used to straighten crooked teeth, correct bite irregularities (known as a malocclusion), close unsightly gaps, and to bring teeth and lips into proper alignment.
Braces are also used to aid other procedures in other areas of dentistry, such as cosmetic dentistry or implant dentistry. In children, braces may guide proper jaw growth and permanent tooth eruption. Before you make the decision whether braces are an option for you, it is important to know what is involved with the treatment and cost of this type of remedy.
Factors That May Cause Malocclusion:
- small mouth
- extra teeth and or not enough teeth
- misaligned jaw or supporting bone
- premature loss of primary teeth
External Causes of an Irregular Bite:
- trauma (teeth which have been knocked out and replace may have fused with the bone surrounding them
- pacifier or thumb sucking
- tongue thrusting
When Are Braces Necessary?
- malocclusion or an improper bite
- to improve dental/oralhealth
- prevention of oral health problems
- to correct improper dental mechanics
The Correct Time for Orthodontic Treatment
- American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children have an orthodontic screening by age seven.
- Prevention of problems before they occur via proper alignment and properly functioning teeth
- Adult treatment may be more complicated and may require more than one dental professional to achieve the proper tratment and results.
Types of Braces
- metal (stainless steel) most common
Call and schedule your consultation with Dr. Haydt TODAY!
||Dr. Haydt is proud to offer CEREC, one hour inlays and crowns!