If you find yourself researching dental implants in Zebulon, it only means you’ve already considered your options and decided to go for dental implant surgery. Tooth loss is not a problem because people have many options, such as dentures, bridges, and dental implants.
Dental implant surgery is popular among patients because of its unparalleled longevity and likeness to natural teeth. However, your dentist must first screen you for eligibility. Before you undergo surgery, your dentist will evaluate your oral health, jawbone, habits, and lifestyle to ensure dental implant success.
Are You a Good Candidate for Dental Implant Surgery?
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implant surgery involves replacing tooth roots with metal screw-shaped posts. Artificial dental crowns are attached to these posts to restore your smile and oral function. The surgery involves multiple steps and could take months to complete.
The process is a bit longer than dentures and bridges because your jawbone needs time to heal and should securely wrap around the implants in a process called osseointegration. Nevertheless, patients willing to wait until its completion are satisfied with the results since dental implants resemble natural teeth the most in terms of function and aesthetics.
How Is Dental Implant Surgery Done?
Dental implant surgery is done in an outpatient setting. The surgery involves several steps, including the following:
- Removal of the damaged tooth
- Preparing the jawbone when necessary (bone grafting)
- Placing the dental implants
- Osseointegration or bone growth
- Placing the abutment
- Placing the dental crown
The dental implant process can stretch for several months because of the healing time and osseointegration.
Who Are Ideal Candidates for Dental Implant Surgery?
1. Healthy Gums
One of the prerequisites of dental implant surgery is having healthy gums. Your dentist will examine your gums for signs of inflammation and infection. People who have gingivitis or advanced-stage gum disease will not qualify for the surgery. You can ask your dentist to treat the gum infection and wait until your gums are healthy enough to receive dental implants.
2. Sufficient Jawbone Density
Dentists will evaluate your jawbone to check if it has sufficient density, as this is one of the requirements for surgery. Having a strong jawbone is vital since it holds the implants in place. If you don’t have enough jawbone density to qualify for surgery, you may undergo bone grafting surgery to strengthen your jawbone.
3. Good Dental Hygiene
Part of the evaluation is asking you questions about your oral health and your dental hygiene practices. If you don’t brush and floss your teeth daily as recommended by the American Dental Association, your dentist will not give you the go signal because dental implant failure is a likely outcome. Routine visits to the dental office are also a must to ensure that your implants remain in great shape.
If you’re a chronic smoker, say goodbye to dental implants. People who chew or smoke tobacco are not ideal candidates for surgery because smoking prevents healing and puts you at risk of dental implant failure. We suggest you quit smoking so you can get dental implants. You’re also doing your overall health a favor if you do.
5. Do Not Have Bruxism
Bruxism is a condition where people clench or grind their teeth. If you have severe bruxism, you might not qualify for surgery. The pressure exerted on your implants due to grinding or clenching will increase your risk of dental implant failure. However, some patients may still qualify depending on the severity of their bruxism. They may be asked to wear custom-fitted nightguards to protect their implants.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implant Surgery?
Dental implants offer numerous benefits, which is why people prefer them to dentures and bridges despite the lengthy treatment process.
- Improved smile – Once the implants are in place, you can expect to have your smile restored. You also don’t have to worry about aesthetics since dental implants are designed to mimic the features of natural teeth.
- Speech restoration – Tooth loss can affect your speech. Even if you replace missing teeth with dentures, there’s still a tendency for you to slur your words. This is not the case for dental implants.
- Comfortable to wear – Comfort is one of the major benefits of dental implants. You won’t notice that you have them since they function and feel like natural teeth.
- Eating is easier – Dentures can be challenging to wear since they can slip out of your mouth while eating. You’ll also need to steer clear of hard and chewy foods as these can cause your dentures to bend or break. With dental implants, your chewing and biting force are restored 100%, and the best part is you can indulge in your favorite foods since implants function like your natural teeth.
Want to Know If You Qualify for Dental Implants in Zebulon?
Do you want to know if you’d make an ideal candidate for dental implant surgery? Our friendly and experienced dentist can evaluate your oral health to see if you qualify. At Tyron Family Dentistry, we offer a wide range of affordable and customizable dental treatments to help restore your smile and oral function. Contact us today for a reservation.